I'm home alone this ANZAC Day which makes baking dangerous, so I thought I'd share with you five healthy recipes for ANZAC biscuits you can try in your own kitchen and then tell me how delicious they were! If you're not familiar with ANZAC bickies, you're either not Australian/Kiwi or you were deprived as a youngster on April 25. ANZAC bickies are traditional fare to munch on on April 25, when Aussie and Kiwi troops (aka, ANZACs) landed at Gallipoli in 1915 (WWI, folks). There was much bloodshed and it's a super important date on the Australian and New Zealand calendars. To be frank, I don't know why we celebrate with ANZAC bickies, but I think it's because they are made from simple ingredients that kept well back in the day and perked up the troops a bit.
Hold up. Let me Google it.
"The army biscuit, also known as an Anzac wafer or Anzac tile, is essentially a long shelf-life, hard tack biscuit, eaten as a substitute for bread. Unlike bread, though, the biscuits are very, very hard. Some soldiers preferred to grind them up and eat as porridge.
The popular Anzac biscuit is a traditional, eggless sweet biscuit. Ingredients include rolled oats, sugar, plain flour, coconut, butter, golden syrup or treacle, bi-carbonate of soda and boiling water."
Well, I was close.
So whether you like your ANZACs chewy, crunchy, dipped in tea or ground up and sprinkled on some yoghurt, here are five healthy recipes to help you get your fix this ANZAC Day. Also, when you're making these, why not spend a moment to, you know, think about how lucky you are and reflect on how brave some people are to put their lives at risk so that you can enjoy yours? ;)
1. I Quit Sugar Sugar Free ANZAC biscuits Replaces the gooey golden syrup with rice malt syrup! http://iquitsugar.com/recipe/sugar-free-anzac-biscuits/
2. The Healthy Chef's Paleo, Gluten Free ANZACs Lots of variations - including quinoa ANZACs!! Teresa Cutter has you sorted. http://www.thehealthychef.com/2014/04/anzac-biscuits/
3. Lola Berry's ANZACs with a twist Sweetened with nanas (...as in bananas, not your grandma) and maple syrup. If you have Lola's The 20/20 Diet Cookbook, the recipe is in there, too. https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food/recipes/recipe/-/21728631/anzacs-with-a-twist/
4. Quirky Cooking's vegan ANZAC biscuits Easy peasy Thermomix recipe that includes tips for ingredients you can swap in/out. http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/anzac-biscuits-vegan.html
5. Cook Chew Conquer's ANZAC cookies...two ways Buckwheat ANZACs that are nut-free and nasty-free! AND a paleo take on the classic ANZAC using coconut flour. http://www.cookchewconquer.com/2014/04/anzac-cookies-2-ways.html#more