Ah...weekends. My bog standard weekday breakfasts normally comprise of either eggs or salmon plus veg, so I like to spend a bit more time in the kitchen on weekends whipping up brunch. Today I felt like porridge, and of course had to fancy it up a tad to #foodporn proportions with lots of nourishing goodies. This is Strawberry Cinnamon Superfood Porridge.
Put down the flavoured oat sachet and back away now...
Ingredients (serves 1):
- I used 1/4C oat bran, 1/4C @_brookfarm_ gluten free "Porrij" grains but you can use 1/2 cup of rolled oats, quinoa flakes, steel cut oats or your favourite alternative grain
- 1Tbs pure organic maple syrup
- 1tsp hulled tahini
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 4-5 strawberries
- 1 egg
- 1Tbs natural full fat Greek yoghurt
- 2 Tbs superfoods of your choice
- In a saucepan with water, cook the oat bran and grains with maple syrup, cinnamon and tahini. You could use 3/4 cup of milk instead of water.
- When the porridge looks halfway there, crack an egg in and then it's stir stir stir so you don't get chunks of scrambled egger - this is an easy way to boost the protein content of your bowl and it makes the richest, thickest porridge!
- Add sliced strawberries and cook until the colour just starts to bleed
- Once it is nice and thick, spoon into a bowl, top with a spoonful of natural Greek yoggy, then sprinkle with pepitas, hemp seeds, bee pollen and more cinnamon...but you can use whatever nuts/seeds/superfoodies you have on hand.
Add some sliced strawberries and enjoy your 'gram worthy feast!